Monday, October 11, 2010

Makwavarara's rubbish

THIS is an open letter to Sekesai Makwavarara, chairperson of the commission running the city of Harare.

I have been a resident of Harare for several years. I reside in Ballantyne Park within the jurisdiction of the city of Harare.


Like any other law-abiding and patriotic resident of Harare and citizen of Zimbabwe, I faithfully and timeously pay all my bills for water, rates and refuse collection. Naturally, I also expect the relevant authorities within the local government structures to play their part of the bargain by at least ensuring that refuse bins are collected regularly as was the case in the past when Harare was indeed the Sunshine City.


In the area in which I live, and I believe in most if not all other parts of Harare, refuse has been piling up over the past two months or so and no refuse collection trucks have been dispatched to remove the trash.


I am acutely aware of the fact that the country is facing a debilitating shortage of fuel but I am of the humble view that refuse collection and removal should be at the very top of your priority list. The situation in my neighbourhood and, I believe, in all other neighbourhoods in Harare is deplorable particularly with over-full metal and plastic bins littering all the roads.


You will no doubt agree with me that this is not good not only for the people's hygiene but also for the general image of our beloved city.


I challenge you to take a drive around the residential suburbs of Harare where you will be greeted by potholes and overflowing refuse bins, not to mention the huge green flies that you will find nauseating!


As a ratepayer who is up to date with payment of his bills, I feel short-changed by your commission's ineptitude particularly pertaining to the collection and removal of refuse.


In fact, I am planning to carry out a one-man demonstration where I will bring all the refuse from my home to the council's chambers at Town House! I certainly trust this will not be necessary.


Obert Chaurura Gutu,

Harare.

No comments:

Post a Comment